ABOUT MT SIERRA COLLEGE:
Mt Sierra College is dedicated to providing access to higher education and a practical, hands-on, quality learning environment that is flexible and accessible to a diverse and multicultural population. The college is committed to preparing students with the requisite knowledge and skills needed for successful careers in today’s rapidly changing and complex global marketplace. SUMMARY OF POSITION: Mt Sierra College is looking for a creative part-time librarian to help us maintain the college library’s collection of books, serial publications, documents, audiovisual, and other materials (both physical and digital), and assist groups and individuals in locating, obtaining and using materials. Furnish information on library activities, facilities, rules, and services and also to organize tutoring programs. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
KEY JOB ELEMENTS:
- Oversee all facets of the daily operations of the library, ensuring compliance with company directives, state and federal laws, policy, and regulations.
- Oversee the direction of assigned personnel, including work allocation, training, and problem resolution; evaluate performance and make recommendations for personnel actions; motivate employees to achieve peak productivity and performance.
- Ensure data is entered into company designated computer system to record employees, equipment inventory, and book inventory and compliance activity.
- Participate in the development and management of the library annual operating budget.
- Review, evaluate, and select material for library collection development, serve as a liaison to teaching faculty on books to have available.
- Ensure that magazine, journal, and other periodical subscriptions are appropriate to the programs of study and are renewed in a timely manner.
- Maintain reference section that is current and meets the needs of all academic programs.
- Employ ethical library management standards which meet all regulatory, agency, and company standards.
- Oversee the use, maintenance, and adequacy of the resource center equipment and supplies.
- Offer support and services to students utilizing the resource center facility including a new student orientation.
- Continuously research related industries to better supply appropriate resources for students and in support of Mt. Sierra College course offerings.
- Train Resource Center Staff to ensure excellent customer service and professionalism is extended to all current and prospective students, as well as to the staff and faculty.
- Schedule Student Workers
- Develop and maintain a Writing Lab and Tutoring Center in collaboration with Department of Academics.
- Develop and conduct workshops on research skills for students.
- Arrange and support faculty and staff in bringing guest speakers on campus.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE / EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in Library Science, Information Science, or a comparable program required.
- Attendance at one library-industry conference per year for professional development is required.
- Three to five years of progressively responsible related experience in a library setting.
- Knowledge of library functions including cataloging, bibliographic instruction, use of Internet, use of online databases, and ability to provide reference services.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of library science and technology and their application to use of reference tools, book selection criteria and methodology, and common library resources.
- Knowledge of policies and procedures of the library and applicable state, federal and local laws, rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of publishing and resources for library materials; methods and techniques of research, statistical analysis and report presentation.
- Excellent writing, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Proficient skills and experience in Microsoft Office computer software systems that includes word processing, spreadsheets, and presentation software.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Ability to establish priorities, work independently, and proceed with objectives with no supervision.
- Ability to work collaboratively with faculty, staff, and management.
- Ability to multi-task and handle deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to provide exceptional service to students, faculty and associates.
- Director of Academics Affairs
Mt. Sierra College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces multiculturalism and diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student and graduate success. We are committed to building and developing a diverse environment where a variety of ideas, cultures and perspectives can thrive in a global market place.